Pregnancy Forum

Pregnancy Forum (http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/)
-   Second Trimester (http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/second-trimester/)
-   -   16 week midwife appointment (http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/second-trimester/505629-16-week-midwife-appointment.html)

BabyRuth Sep 5th, 2017 09:46 AM

16 week midwife appointment

Hi all, hope everybody is feeling well x

I have my 16 week midwife appointment tomorrow and have started feeling anxious again.. don't know whether other people feel/felt the same But as it's been over 4 weeks since scan I feel like I really need some reassurance that my baby is still ok.... my next scan isn't until end of Sep and that feels like such a long time!!!

I don't think I can feel baby yet (I'm 16 weeks 4 days) and I suppose at least if I could feel movement that would put my mind at rest!!

Does the midwife check for a heartbeat at the 16 week appointment or am I jumping ahead? I would LOVE to hear the little beat tomorrow to help put me at ease, I've not yet heard a heartbeat, seen the flashing beat on the screen (which was amazing!)

Sorry to ramble on xx

TORino Sep 5th, 2017 10:11 AM

I didn't get a heartbeat check at 16weeks but I know others have done. If you're anxious, ask and I'm sure they will do it for you.

xSebbiesMumx Sep 5th, 2017 10:25 AM

I have mine this afternoon! And it's my second midwife appointment, not had one since 9 weeks! (That was my booking in one!) I'm extremely anxious about it so will be asking to hear the heartbeat!, but the thought of more blood tests is really putting the fear of god into me as I'm needle phobic :lol:

BabyRuth Sep 5th, 2017 10:32 AM

Thanks for your replies guys I'm definitely going to ask tomorrow then!

Sebbiesmum im exactly the same lol I've got a major vein phobia!! Good luck this afternoon!! Hope you get to hear the heartbeat xxx

CARNAT22 Sep 5th, 2017 11:42 AM

You could always ask for them to check HB.

I thought they had stopped doing it, but they offered at my 16w appointment and she even said that if they didn't get HB she would have me back in a week (I am fat! I was worried they wouldn't be bale to hear it!). All was fine though.

I don't think there are any more blood tests until 28w? (unless you have been scheduled for GTT?)

x

Boobaby Sep 5th, 2017 12:09 PM

I'm feeling the same BabyRuth! I had bleeds at 6/7 weeks caused by a nasty UTI and ever since then I've got anxious before any appointment. The relief at the 12 week scan was immense, but I'm starting to worry again now. I've hot my appointment on Thursday, so I may ask if my MW will have a listen, just to put me at ease.

Dee83 Sep 5th, 2017 12:18 PM

At my 10 week booking in appointment my midwife told me that when she next sees me at 16weeks she will have a listen to the heartbeat. I have booked a private scan next week too, when I will be 16weeks, and am hoping to find out the gender. Maybe you could book a private scan for reassurance? Mine is costing 45 but it varies by where you live xx

zoeysfirstbaby Sep 5th, 2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyRuth (Post 4712955)
Hi all, hope everybody is feeling well x

I have my 16 week midwife appointment tomorrow and have started feeling anxious again.. don't know whether other people feel/felt the same But as it's been over 4 weeks since scan I feel like I really need some reassurance that my baby is still ok.... my next scan isn't until end of Sep and that feels like such a long time!!!

I don't think I can feel baby yet (I'm 16 weeks 4 days) and I suppose at least if I could feel movement that would put my mind at rest!!

Does the midwife check for a heartbeat at the 16 week appointment or am I jumping ahead? I would LOVE to hear the little beat tomorrow to help put me at ease, I've not yet heard a heartbeat, seen the flashing beat on the screen (which was amazing!)

Sorry to ramble on xx

I had my 16 week midwife appointment yesterday and she used a dopplar to find the babys heartbeat. If you are concerned you should certainly ask your midwife to do so :)
I also annoyingly had to have more blood taken as they had lost my previous blood/results grrr!

BabyRuth Sep 5th, 2017 13:11 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies. It's good to know I'm not alone in feeling like this!! It's made me feel loads better to hear tha a few if you have had this checked at 16 weeks so I will certainly push for this tomorrow morning.

Hope you are all feeling well xxxx

JoeyClare Sep 5th, 2017 19:34 PM

With my first, they didn't check for hb till 25 weeks. This time we got to hear at 16 weeks, but my midwife made it clear that she may not be able to locate it, that she wouldn't be concerned if she couldn't find it and we wouldn't be offered any further check ups like a scan if she couldn't find it. She left it up to us to decide if we wanted to try and hear the hb.

Beauandhamish Sep 5th, 2017 19:53 PM

I heard the heartbeat at 16 weeks with my daughter, this time I had a student midwife and she said they don't offer it at 16 weeks anymore where we are. Was a bit disappointed but didn't have my 12 week scan until 14 weeks so not a massive gap in between, just got to wait three for weeks for my 20 week scan now! x

Hoping for no2 Sep 5th, 2017 20:20 PM

My midwife offered to find the heartbeat at 16 weeks with this one but said she wouldn't have offered if I wasn't very slim as it can be hard to find at 16 weeks. She is find it easily and it was nice to hear. Don't be surprised if they won't do it as I know in some areas they are not supposed to. X

BabyRuth Sep 5th, 2017 22:02 PM

Thanks guys, I'm crossing everything they will do it for me ... has really helped to hear you experiences and I now know what to expect.. thank you xx

FINGERS CROSSED!! XXX

CARNAT22 Sep 6th, 2017 14:19 PM

How did it go?

X

BabyRuth Sep 6th, 2017 14:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARNAT22 (Post 4713603)
How did it go?

X

Got to hear the heartbeat!!!!! Yeyyyyyyy xx feel SO much better now, a big relief! It started at 143 then went to 150 so a good strong heartbeat xx makes me wonder whether is a male or female heartbeat! Midwife said it was impossible to tell...x