Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register to join in. Resend Activation Email  |  Forgotten Password?

PF Savvy
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 482

Should I have another?? Concerns.

Jan 1st, 2018, 16:06 PM   #1
Hello all,
I had my first back in April 2016, text book pregnant and labour until he came out and didn't breath, resulted in cooling and a 2 week stay in nicu. Don't know if it had anything to do with it but he swabbed positive for group b strep. He's absolutely fine now, no brain damage and no ill affects for being without oxygen. IF I decided I wanted another id be high risk this time. But I can't make up my mind. I've kept all my sons baby stuff in the loft but tell everyone I'm not having another, and I don't think I do want another but I think it's because I'd be high risk but more than that I'm petrified of the actual pain of giving birth again, I didn't cope well at all. Also I'm worried if the next was born not breathing and again had to be cooled etc would we be as lucky to come out the other side unscathed. My son is fine as I said but what if we weren't so lucky next time round? I feel like I should just count my blessings and stick with what we have. Also it upsets me that he might be an only child but we could give him a great life he of was just the only one. I'm not on the pill, we use condoms and I'm worried that an "accident" might happen and this may sound silly but I wouldn't want it to be an accident I'd like for it to planned like my son. Hormone contraception doesn't suit me, I've thought about the coil, but given my self til this time next year to make up my mind on having another or not.
Sorry if it's long winded and I'm sounding silly or strange for my reasonings
Status: Offline
PF Addict
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,490

Jan 1st, 2018, 16:23 PM   #2
Awww hugs. It sounds as if you are scared because of your experience of labour and afterwards..I can't imagine how traumatic it must of been for all of you . Did you have the option to discuss with the hospital afterwards like a debrief to go over your labour? xxx

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Status: Offline
PF Savvy
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 201

Jan 2nd, 2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Could you have a chat with a midwife or consultant to discuss your concerns? If they would treat the pregnancy as high risk second time round that might actually be more reassuring for you because they will keep a close eye on everything and might intervene sooner....
Status: Offline
PF Savvy
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 482

Jan 10th, 2018, 08:29 AM   #4
Yes has full investigation in the labour and birth and no one knew what had happened and put it down to "just one of those things"
They did say if I was to have another again I'd be classed as high risk and c-sec maybe the option. Which I don't want to happen. Another thing I seen on my notes at the gp was of have to go on antibiotics because of the group 1 strep.
Status: Offline
PF Addict
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 26,070

Jan 10th, 2018, 09:40 AM   #5
Hiya, unfortunately these things to sometimes just happen, without any rational explanation and I'm sorry you were subjected to that experience.
The likely reason that you'd be considered 'high risk' next time is because of the group B strep, so you'd (in some trusts) be offered antibiotics in labour routinely.
It's the sort of think your midwife would ask you about when you book in for a new pregnancy, should you decide to go ahead.
Concerning the labour aspect, you could opt for an earlier epidural during labour? As a general rule, subsequent labours tend to be quicker than the first if that helps. x

Status: Online


Thread Tools

Related Threads
Thread Forum
I have my concerns any advice would be brill Pregnancy Chat
Should I have another baby? Ask a Mum!
Should I have another appointment? Second Trimester
Small for Dates/Midwife Concerns...?? Third Trimester
concerns First Trimester
Concerns First Trimester
should i have another baby or not (poll) The Lounge
Chicken Pox concerns First Trimester