Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register to join in. Resend Activation Email  |  Forgotten Password?
 


Reply
 
 
scn
PF Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: At home x
Posts: 5,086


Nov 13th, 2016, 16:56 PM   #31
 
How's things now strongminded?
Jacob has reflux and is on gaviscon, it wasn't silent though. He started on 2 sachets per feed but did get a bit constipated and I cut it down to 1 sachet. He's fine now, poos daily and only spits up a wee bit with his wind.
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
strongminded
PF Savvy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Posts: 275


Nov 13th, 2016, 19:38 PM   #32
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scn View Post
How's things now strongminded?
Jacob has reflux and is on gaviscon, it wasn't silent though. He started on 2 sachets per feed but did get a bit constipated and I cut it down to 1 sachet. He's fine now, poos daily and only spits up a wee bit with his wind.
Hi scn. I took my little one to the hospital on Friday night as I couldnt bare to see him in agony any more and he was diagnosed finally with silent reflux. He is now on 1 sachet gaviscon and he is like a different baby. So so much more happier and calmer. I finally can see him playing and just being a happy baby. I am so glad i took him to the hospital instead of waiting to get a gp appointment. I hope he wont need any further medication and will grow out of it soon.

How long has your son been on gaviscon for? My son is 6 weeks 1 day today. Its heart braking to remember the discomfort he was in especially while sleeping he would squirm. So much better now.

Do you give the gaviscon at every feed? I was told not to give more than 6 sachets a day
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
russellmuscle
PF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clydebank/Glasgow
Posts: 11,705


Nov 13th, 2016, 20:01 PM   #33
 
Aw great news that you got the diagnosis. I did think it was SR right away but GPS are very hard to get it from. Usually it's the paeds who diagnose it either via out of hours or referral.

That's good he's much more settled now. Long may it continue for you.

We are starting to settle into a routine over here and geTring alot more awake happy periods so we are edging towards the right way. We have his 6w check in a week or so, perhaps it'll shift by then.

Xxxxx
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
strongminded
PF Savvy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Posts: 275


Nov 13th, 2016, 20:27 PM   #34
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmuscle View Post
Aw great news that you got the diagnosis. I did think it was SR right away but GPS are very hard to get it from. Usually it's the paeds who diagnose it either via out of hours or referral.

That's good he's much more settled now. Long may it continue for you.

We are starting to settle into a routine over here and geTring alot more awake happy periods so we are edging towards the right way. We have his 6w check in a week or so, perhaps it'll shift by then.

Xxxxx
Hi Russell Thanks for mentioning silent reflux to me it made me look into it and thats when i decided to take him to the out of hours. Being a ftm i was clueless to what was going on. Fingers crossed the worse is over.

Good to hear you are getting into a routine and hope you have more awake happy periods. X x
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
scn
PF Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: At home x
Posts: 5,086


Nov 13th, 2016, 20:56 PM   #35
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongminded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scn View Post
How's things now strongminded?
Jacob has reflux and is on gaviscon, it wasn't silent though. He started on 2 sachets per feed but did get a bit constipated and I cut it down to 1 sachet. He's fine now, poos daily and only spits up a wee bit with his wind.
Hi scn. I took my little one to the hospital on Friday night as I couldnt bare to see him in agony any more and he was diagnosed finally with silent reflux. He is now on 1 sachet gaviscon and he is like a different baby. So so much more happier and calmer. I finally can see him playing and just being a happy baby. I am so glad i took him to the hospital instead of waiting to get a gp appointment. I hope he wont need any further medication and will grow out of it soon.

How long has your son been on gaviscon for? My son is 6 weeks 1 day today. Its heart braking to remember the discomfort he was in especially while sleeping he would squirm. So much better now.

Do you give the gaviscon at every feed? I was told not to give more than 6 sachets a day
Jacob started on it at 6 weeks 3 days old but cos of his weight he could have 12 sachets a day(they are allowed 6 doses per day but over 4.5kg the dose is 2 sachets per feed, under 4.5kg the dose is 1 sachet per feed) I just worked hard at getting him to feed 4 hourly so that he could get the gaviscon with every feed, took a couple of days but you'll probably find now that he's on the gaviscon he won't want to feed as often as he'll feel better and more settled so should hopefully go a bit longer between feeds for you.
Glad you got him seen and diagnosed xx
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
russellmuscle
PF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clydebank/Glasgow
Posts: 11,705


Nov 13th, 2016, 23:25 PM   #36
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongminded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmuscle View Post
Aw great news that you got the diagnosis. I did think it was SR right away but GPS are very hard to get it from. Usually it's the paeds who diagnose it either via out of hours or referral.

That's good he's much more settled now. Long may it continue for you.

We are starting to settle into a routine over here and geTring alot more awake happy periods so we are edging towards the right way. We have his 6w check in a week or so, perhaps it'll shift by then.

Xxxxx
Hi Russell Thanks for mentioning silent reflux to me it made me look into it and thats when i decided to take him to the out of hours. Being a ftm i was clueless to what was going on. Fingers crossed the worse is over.

Good to hear you are getting into a routine and hope you have more awake happy periods. X x
Tbh I was the exact same the first time. Most just says oh he's eating and not being sick he's fine and it wasn't till I just frantically Googled and persisted. This time I'm totally talking myself out of it and have tried to keep in mind that Carter is a different baby so try not to compare too much - but they do have the same symptoms only Carter doesn't over eat but mainly because I don't let him. So I think that's why it's not so bad.

Because he's so settled at night it's been stopping me going to gp but I've read apparently some SR babies do sleep because they are exhausted from being so unsettled during the day so I don't like that idea. I'm giving it until the check then I'll ask for something and maybe even change him back to stage 1 because honestly that comfort is horrible smelling and just not an amazing change.

xxxxx
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
strongminded
PF Savvy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Posts: 275


Nov 15th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #37
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmuscle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongminded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmuscle View Post
Aw great news that you got the diagnosis. I did think it was SR right away but GPS are very hard to get it from. Usually it's the paeds who diagnose it either via out of hours or referral.

That's good he's much more settled now. Long may it continue for you.

We are starting to settle into a routine over here and geTring alot more awake happy periods so we are edging towards the right way. We have his 6w check in a week or so, perhaps it'll shift by then.

Xxxxx
Hi Russell Thanks for mentioning silent reflux to me it made me look into it and thats when i decided to take him to the out of hours. Being a ftm i was clueless to what was going on. Fingers crossed the worse is over.

Good to hear you are getting into a routine and hope you have more awake happy periods. X x
Tbh I was the exact same the first time. Most just says oh he's eating and not being sick he's fine and it wasn't till I just frantically Googled and persisted. This time I'm totally talking myself out of it and have tried to keep in mind that Carter is a different baby so try not to compare too much - but they do have the same symptoms only Carter doesn't over eat but mainly because I don't let him. So I think that's why it's not so bad.

Because he's so settled at night it's been stopping me going to gp but I've read apparently some SR babies do sleep because they are exhausted from being so unsettled during the day so I don't like that idea. I'm giving it until the check then I'll ask for something and maybe even change him back to stage 1 because honestly that comfort is horrible smelling and just not an amazing change.

xxxxx
Yes it's best to trust your instincts. Although i didnt know about about silent reflux until a few days ago i definitely knew something wasnt right.

I am supposed to administer gaviscon at everyfeed but i am doing it at every other feed and it seems to be working fine. I spoke to the gp today and she said to carry on as i am doing it. Hopefully it will make him less constipated. He loves the Aptimel colic and constipation formula. The gaviscon makes it thicker but with a bigger teat he drinks it ok.

Hope your son is settling abit more. Babies can be so unpredictable
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
russellmuscle
PF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clydebank/Glasgow
Posts: 11,705


Nov 16th, 2016, 02:39 AM   #38
 
Yesterday was awful. Every feed was noise and taking 2-3hr to settle. Poor mite was in agony.

We went to GP who gave us gaviscon without much hassle. So far I've given it 3 feeds, the first feed was much more quiet and within 30 mins he was asleep till his next feed then he got quite unsettled but even then only took an hr and half to get down. So he went from 1030-2 and he's back down sleeping again.

I have just given it with my comfort as we just got the tin on Sunday. But I think I may switch back to stage 1 and see how we go as ideally I don't want him to remain on the comfort unless it is helping.

By god it makes the milk thick doesn't it? I will see if we get a decent poop during the night or tomorrow morning if not I'll give him some cooled boiled water. He actually sounded constipated or windy when he was unsettled tonight but didn't go. I'll see how we do tomorrow.

A few more smiles and even cooing this evening though before he kicked off for a bit but apart from this morning before gaviscon and just after 9pm he has been fairly settled. So it must have helped to a degree.

We have to revisit at the 6w check. I was trying to hold off but thankfully I went today although it's one of those things if it does sort the issue I'll be pissed at myself for not going sooner and talking myself out of it.

Hope your LO has been good toilet wise? xxxx
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
strongminded
PF Savvy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Posts: 275


Nov 16th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #39
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmuscle View Post
Yesterday was awful. Every feed was noise and taking 2-3hr to settle. Poor mite was in agony.

We went to GP who gave us gaviscon without much hassle. So far I've given it 3 feeds, the first feed was much more quiet and within 30 mins he was asleep till his next feed then he got quite unsettled but even then only took an hr and half to get down. So he went from 1030-2 and he's back down sleeping again.

I have just given it with my comfort as we just got the tin on Sunday. But I think I may switch back to stage 1 and see how we go as ideally I don't want him to remain on the comfort unless it is helping.

By god it makes the milk thick doesn't it? I will see if we get a decent poop during the night or tomorrow morning if not I'll give him some cooled boiled water. He actually sounded constipated or windy when he was unsettled tonight but didn't go. I'll see how we do tomorrow.

A few more smiles and even cooing this evening though before he kicked off for a bit but apart from this morning before gaviscon and just after 9pm he has been fairly settled. So it must have helped to a degree.

We have to revisit at the 6w check. I was trying to hold off but thankfully I went today although it's one of those things if it does sort the issue I'll be pissed at myself for not going sooner and talking myself out of it.

Hope your LO has been good toilet wise? xxxx
Its good you went to your gp sooner rather than later. Yes the gaviscon does make the milk very thick. I am having to use the size 4 teat with it and i am not giving the gaviscon every feed but every other feed. We started gaviscon late Friday night and he did a poo which was solid pebble like on sunday. Then yesterday he did a massive liquidy poo after some straining and squeezing. I have been giving him cooled boiled water before some of his feeds i think thats helped. I am also giving him only one sachet of the gaviscon rather than 2. How many are you giving your son?

Then yesterday was a difficult day i dont think it was his reflux rather than just colicky cry. He calmed down after a warm bath then startee crying again and nothing seemee to soothe him..i tried white noise and that calmed him abit and he fell asleep at 11.30pm to 1.30am then woke up for a feed and slept 2am to 4am . I gave him his feed now he didnt have much but has fallen asleep so i am hoping he will sleep for another couple of hours.

Its difficult isnt it. Just as you feel.you have figured things out and moving forward then something new happens. We just have to see this phase through i guess ans take each day as it comes. I hope there is less crying today. I read colic is at a peak at 6 weeks onwards. My son is 6weeks 5 days today.

I hope your son takes well to the gaviscon and things get better for him. Tummy massages and leg massages i find help to bring out wind..i have also been giving him gripe water now and then
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
russellmuscle
PF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clydebank/Glasgow
Posts: 11,705


Nov 16th, 2016, 16:55 PM   #40
 
We had a bad day yesterday too. It started off well but not sure if it's been too much on his bowels. First couple feeds were fine he took them well and went to sleep. Then after his bath he took 1.5hr to settle. He seemed in pain but not by reflux either. I thought he kept trying to go toilet and he was passing wind. Then last night after settling down after the 2am feed he woke at 3.30 wriggling and crying then he got his normal 6am then 9am but did a poop this morning which was like wallpaper paste.

I was giving him one each feed but today I've tried every other feed so will see if that makes a difference tonight.


I just would like the crying to stop. For him and my own sanity lol.

xxxx
xxxxx
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
strongminded
PF Savvy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Posts: 275


Nov 16th, 2016, 22:17 PM   #41
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmuscle View Post
We had a bad day yesterday too. It started off well but not sure if it's been too much on his bowels. First couple feeds were fine he took them well and went to sleep. Then after his bath he took 1.5hr to settle. He seemed in pain but not by reflux either. I thought he kept trying to go toilet and he was passing wind. Then last night after settling down after the 2am feed he woke at 3.30 wriggling and crying then he got his normal 6am then 9am but did a poop this morning which was like wallpaper paste.

I was giving him one each feed but today I've tried every other feed so will see if that makes a difference tonight.


I just would like the crying to stop. For him and my own sanity lol.

xxxx
xxxxx
Yeh try the gaviscon in every other feed and see how it goes. So far its been a good day today but till a long night ahead of us so anything can happen lol

Went to see my inlaws today. It was good for the both of us to get out of the house. Some times i get so caught up with colic and reflux and gaviscon and poo lol that i forget there is a world out there

I cant waittt for this colic phase to be over
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
russellmuscle
PF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clydebank/Glasgow
Posts: 11,705


Nov 17th, 2016, 00:03 AM   #42
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongminded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmuscle View Post
We had a bad day yesterday too. It started off well but not sure if it's been too much on his bowels. First couple feeds were fine he took them well and went to sleep. Then after his bath he took 1.5hr to settle. He seemed in pain but not by reflux either. I thought he kept trying to go toilet and he was passing wind. Then last night after settling down after the 2am feed he woke at 3.30 wriggling and crying then he got his normal 6am then 9am but did a poop this morning which was like wallpaper paste.

I was giving him one each feed but today I've tried every other feed so will see if that makes a difference tonight.


I just would like the crying to stop. For him and my own sanity lol.

xxxx
xxxxx
Yeh try the gaviscon in every other feed and see how it goes. So far its been a good day today but till a long night ahead of us so anything can happen lol

Went to see my inlaws today. It was good for the both of us to get out of the house. Some times i get so caught up with colic and reflux and gaviscon and poo lol that i forget there is a world out there

I cant waittt for this colic phase to be over
I'll probably get another poop tomorrow he usually only goes once a day but he hasn't been overly unsettled. My mum took him for a while earlier so I could sleep and I woke in a panic. So used to hearing him crying I didn't know where I was when I woke lol. I'm ready for tonight though. He took his feed at 11.30 but slept 4hr before that so not sure how he will be.

I was thinking Carter might be worse this week due to leap. We are in week 5. I don't remember Jackson being overly unsettles at leaps but could be just so much going on. I'm slowly going to start again. We stopped the infacol and it's been fine. So next I'll try switching the mill back to stage 1. It's got the stage he's on everything so when he's unsettled I dunno what is wrong. Could be reflux bowels colic. So frustrating. We have HV six week check tomorrow. Not that the HV has been much use. She dismissed SR and asked on the phone last week if the sickness stopped. He's not been sick.
.

I'm the same. I never go out I'm too scared he will be so unsettled. It's a shame on Jackson too because I feel like I'm having to constantly quiet him when Carter gives me a break and sleeps ofcourse he's only 3 being a 3 year old so it's hard.

Atleast we aren't alone with our crying babies lol. I do remember Jackson hitting 8w and being a new baby and sleeping through but not sure I'll get it easy this time. Hang on in there.

xxxx
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
strongminded
PF Savvy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Posts: 275


Nov 17th, 2016, 19:23 PM   #43
 
Before i took my son out i felt nervous too thinking what will happen if he starts crying. Then i thought all babies cry and its good for him and for me to get out for some fresh air. He likes being in his car seat and sleeps in the car too. Yesterday he started crying at my inlaws house but i had lots of help and he was fine in a few minutes.

The coolee boilee water i give him inbetween feeds has helped with his constipation. He still strains and is very uncomfortable when he does a poo but so far he has done a poo every other day.

Hows your little one getting on? X x
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
russellmuscle
PF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clydebank/Glasgow
Posts: 11,705


Nov 18th, 2016, 00:37 AM   #44
 
Oh my.. We had a great night day and so far night again. Not sure if it was cutting out the infacol, gaviscon kicking in or both or even time but last night he fed 1030pm then straight down then 3am then straight back down then 6am then back down then we woke and took Jackson to nursery and he fed when we got back at 0930 then he lay awake quiet for 2hours then fell asleep in his mamaroo. The HV came and woke him did his checks he was fine then he had his feed 1230 and went back to sleep lol then 4pm did a poop a bit hard so will introduce water tomorrow then 1930 settled himself in his moses with no dummy. And he just woke at 12 for a feed and right back down with minimal grunting.

I might go as far to say he hasn't cried alllll day. Maybe a wee grunt or whinge here or there but nothing major. I'm in such a better mood already. I felt myself getting anoxious every feed.

SIL and my two neicES came up today so I was kept sleep.

Just hope it wasnt a complete fluke.

How's your wee one getting on?

xxxxx
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
 
strongminded
PF Savvy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London
Posts: 275


Nov 18th, 2016, 04:22 AM   #45
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmuscle View Post
Oh my.. We had a great night day and so far night again. Not sure if it was cutting out the infacol, gaviscon kicking in or both or even time but last night he fed 1030pm then straight down then 3am then straight back down then 6am then back down then we woke and took Jackson to nursery and he fed when we got back at 0930 then he lay awake quiet for 2hours then fell asleep in his mamaroo. The HV came and woke him did his checks he was fine then he had his feed 1230 and went back to sleep lol then 4pm did a poop a bit hard so will introduce water tomorrow then 1930 settled himself in his moses with no dummy. And he just woke at 12 for a feed and right back down with minimal grunting.

I might go as far to say he hasn't cried alllll day. Maybe a wee grunt or whinge here or there but nothing major. I'm in such a better mood already. I felt myself getting anoxious every feed.

SIL and my two neicES came up today so I was kept sleep.

Just hope it wasnt a complete fluke.

How's your wee one getting on?

xxxxx
Oh brilliant! I hope it carries on for you. We dad a good day but not having a good night. He suddenly has decided he doesnt like his cot. He wakes up as soon as i put him in it.

Just when i feel things are getting better then something else happens
 
 

 
Status: Offline
 
 
Reply

colic/reflux, comfort, milk

Thread Tools